Avallone Law Associates
call for a free initial consultation
Menu Contact

City Council to consider zoning changes for new hotel

When a developer plans to redevelop a parcel in Philadelphia's central core, a change to the zoning district that contains the parcel is often required. Even if the zoning classification remains the same, a conditional use permit or other modification of the terms of the Zoning Ordinance may be required. A new hotel project near Rittenhouse Square has proven that a parcel can be rezoned to accommodate a worthwhile project.

The City Council is planning to consider and presumably approve an application to change the zoning classification for the parcel where the hotel is planned. The parcel is currently zoned CMX-4. CMX denotes "commercial mixed use", the second most-dense zoning classification in the city. The developer, however, wants permission to build a taller building than can be accommodated in a CMX-4 district. The developer is asking the City to change the zoning to CMX-5, the classification allowing the greatest density. If the maximum allowable density for the site is increased, the developer will be able to build the 13-story hotel shown in current plans for the project.

As Philadelphia becomes more of a destination city, it is generating an increasing number of proposals for boutique hotels. For example, a 152-room hotel is planned for South Broad Street. The project will also include 90 condominium units. The land is in the last stages of being cleared and construction is expected to start in early 2016.

The advice of a lawyer who specializes in land development and land use regulation can offer significant assistance to a commercial developer who wants to build a project that requires either a re-zoning or a conditional use permit. Such an attorney can provide an evaluation of applicable regulations and suggestions for applying for and obtaining all necessary permits for the project.

Source: Philly.com, "City Council's rules committee to consider zoning change for Hudson Hotel," Jacob Adelman, Sep. 21, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Our Lawyers Today

Whether you need help with a divorce, a real estate transaction or starting a small business — our lawyers are prepared to address your unique legal needs. For a free initial consultation, contact us online or call us directly at 215-253-3855.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

contact us