Avallone Law Associates
call for a free initial consultation
Menu Contact

Consider options to avoid foreclosure

Are you a homeowner in Pennsylvania who is struggling to keep up with mortgage payments? Unexpected circumstances, such as an employment change or a medical emergency, can put a strain on finances. Fortunately, there are a number of state and federal programs designed to assist homeowners in keeping their home, even when times are tough.

The PA Housing Finance Agency says the first thing you should do when either behind in payments or you know you cannot pay next month's mortgage is to contact the agency that is servicing your loan. It will help figure out alternatives or other options. Ignoring notices from the company will only make it worse, so be proactive and talk to an associate. Depending on your situation, your lender may give you an Act 91 notice, which is a loan program that assists in mortgage payments.

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development discusses other options that are available through the federal government. A simple answer to your money issues may be to refinance your loan which can lower your monthly payments. This can be done through programs such as HARP, HAMP or PRA. If you are recently unemployed, you may be eligible for mortgage payment suspension or reduction, which is available for up to one year while you look for another job.

If your situation looks like it is going to be long-term and you choose not to keep your home, there are also programs to help you manage this process. This helps you avoid foreclosure and allows you to move on to something more affordable.


No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Our Lawyers Today

Whether you need help with a divorce, a real estate transaction or starting a small business — our lawyers are prepared to address your unique legal needs. For a free initial consultation, contact us online or call us directly at 215-253-3855.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

contact us